Once an independent city adjacent to San Jose, Willow Glen’s citizens opted to be annexed by San Jose in 1936. The area developed in the 1860s in the marshy area between the Guadalupe River and Los Gatos Creek. A channel was built to drain the marsh and open the area up for farmland and orchards, and it became one of the most sought-after spots for growing in the Santa Clara County. Now, Willow Glen encompasses a neighborhood of tree-lined streets, diverse architecture, specialty shops, independent businesses, and a historic downtown with many shops and restaurants. Numerous community events and traditions make it a lively area great for families.